Colonel Frank L. Amodeo is Commander of the 927th Air Refueling Wing, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla. He is responsible for the organization, training, equipping, and worldwide readiness of a Reserve wing of approximately 950 Citizen Airmen and Civilians. The 927th Air Refueling Wing supports contingencies and humanitarian operations around the world with in-flight air refueling, cargo airlift and passenger movement in the KC-135R Stratotanker. The wing provides additional combat-ready forces from Aeromedical, Logistics Readiness, Security Forces, Force Support, Operations Support, and Aeromedical Evacuation squadrons.
Colonel Amodeo entered the Air Force in 1986 as a graduate of the Reserve Officers Training Corps at the University of Kentucky. In 2000, he joined the Air Force Reserve and deployed twice as a C-130 crew commander in support of Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom. Colonel Amodeo has served in headquarters positons as the Air Force Reserve Command’s Reserve Advisor to the Commander, Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base. He is a Level III Joint Qualified Officer, having served as the Chief, Deployment and Distribution Center (DDOC) in the J3 Directorate at US Transportation Command and in Kabul, Afghanistan in the US Central Command’s DDOC collocated with US Forces-Afghanistan. The colonel has commanded at the group and wing levels.
Colonel Amodeo is a command pilot with over 6,500 hours flying T-37B, T-38A, B-52G, MC-130E, MC-130H, C-5A/B, C-130E/H/J and KC-135R aircraft.
1986 Bachelor's degree, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Ky.
1991 Squadron Officer School (Residence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Master's degree, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla.
2004 Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Air War College (Correspondence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va
1. October 1986 - October 1987, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
2. October 1987 - January 1988, Student, B-52G Combat Crew and Post-Pilot Training, Castle Air Force Base, Calif.
3. January 1988 - April 1990, B-52G Evaluator Pilot, 69th Bombardment Heavy Squadron, Loring Air Force Base, Maine
4. April 1990 - May 1992, T-37B Instructor Aircraft Commander; Flight Commander, 98th Flying Training Squadron, Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
5. May 1992 - January 1995, MC-130E Evaluator Aircraft Commander, 1st Special Operations Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan
6. January 1995 - October 2000, MC-130H Evaluator Aircraft Commander; Chief, Fixed-Wing Standards and Evaluation; Wing Flight Safety Officer, 58th Special Operations Wing, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
7. October 2000 - December 2005, C-130H Evaluator Aircraft Commander; Chief Squadron Training; Chief, Group Stan/Eval; Chief of Safety, 914th Airlift Wing, Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station, N.Y. (Mobilized for OIF/OEF)
8. December 2005 - December 2006, Deputy Commander, 439th Operations Group, Westover Air Reserve Base, Mass.
9. December 2006 - April 2009, Commander, 911th Operations Group, 911th Airlift Wing, Pittsburgh International Airport Air Reserve Station, Coraopolis, Pa.
10. April 2009 - August 2011, Reserve Advisor to the Commander, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
11. August 2011 - September 2013, Chief, Deployment and Distribution Operations Center, United States Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill. (Deployed March 2012 - October 2012, Liaison Officer, USCENTCOM Deployment and Distribution Operations Center to US Forces-Afghanistan, Kabul, Afghanistan)
12. September 2013 – September 2016, Commander, 403rd Wing, Keesler AFB, Miss.
13. September 2016 – Present, Commander, 927th Air Refueling Wing, MacDill AFB, Fla.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. August 2011 - September 2013, Chief, Deployment and Distribution Operations Center (DDOC) (J3), USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill.
2. March 2012 - October 2012 (Deployment), Liaison Officer, USCENTCOM Deployment and Distribution Operations Center (CDDOC) to US Forces-Afghanistan, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 6,000
Aircraft flown: T-37B, T-38A, B-52G, C-130E/H/J, MC-130E/H, C-5 A/B, KC-135R
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Military Officers Association of America
Reserve Officers Association
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 10, 1986
First Lieutenant August 1, 1988
Captain August 1, 1990
Major April 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel September 30, 2004
Colonel February 7, 2008
(Current as of September 2016)