Col. Kurt Matthews is the Commander of the 927th Air Refueling Wing, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla. He is responsible for the organization, training, equipping, and worldwide readiness of a Reserve wing of approximately 950 Citizen Airmen and Civilians. The 927th Air Refueling Wing supports contingencies and humanitarian operations around the world with in-flight air refueling, cargo airlift and passenger movement in the KC-135R Stratotanker. The wing provides additional combat-ready forces from Aeromedical, Logistics Readiness, Security Forces, Force Support, Operations Support, and Aeromedical Evacuation squadrons
Colonel Matthews is a 1990 graduate of the University of Miami, where he earned a regular commission as an Air Force ROTC distinguished graduate. His previous commands include the 308th Rescue Squadron, 919th Special Operations Group, the 920th Rescue Operations Group, and the 920th Rescue Wing. He has served in Operations Provide Comfort II, Southern Watch, Northern Watch, Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, Combined Joint Task Force Horn of Africa and conducted rescues in hurricanes Floyd, Katrina and Rita. He recently served as the Vice Commander at headquarters Twenty Second Air Force. Additionally, he is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Space Officer School, and the Air Force Special Operations Command’s Air Commando course.
1990 Bachelor of Science, Mathematics, University of Miami, Fla.
1997 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2001 Masters of Aeronautical Science with honors, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2012 Air War College, by correspondence
2014 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, National Defense University, by correspondence
- March 1991–Apr 1992, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
- April 1992–August 1992, Aerial Port Duty Officer, Dover AFB, Del.
- August 1992–September 1993, HH-60G Helicopter Pilot, Homestead AFB, Fla.
- September 1993–May 2006, HH-60G Helicopter Pilot, Squadron Weapons and Tactics, Patrick AFB, Fla.
- June 2006–June 2008, Space Operations Officer, McGhee-Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
- July 2008–June 2010, HH-60G Helicopter Pilot, group Weapons and Tactics, Patrick AFB, Fla.
- June 2010–November 2012, Commander, 308th Rescue Squadron, Patrick AFB, Fla.
- November 2012–June 2014, Personnel Recovery/Special Operations Branch Chief, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
- June 2014–May 2016, Commander, 919th Special Operations Group, Duke Field, Fla.
- May 2016–December 2016, Commander, 920th OG, Patrick AFB, Fla.
- December 2016–December 2019, Commander, 920th Rescue Wing, Patrick AFB, Fla.
- December 2019–September 2021, Vice Commander, 22nd Air Force, Dobbins ARB, Ga.
- September 2021-Present, Commander, 927th Air Refueling Wing, MacDill AFB, Fla.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,150
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, UH-1, HH-60G, C-145A, HC-130P/N
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters Air Medal with two bronze oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters Air Force Joint Service Commendation Medal Combat Readiness Medal with four oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster Southwest Asia Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 10, 1990
First Lieutenant May 10, 1993
Captain Aug. 8, 1996
Major April 20, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel April 20, 2008
Colonel Sept. 1, 2013
(Current as of Dec 2021)